Bishop Eton School House, at 95 Green Lane, was originally called The Hollies. In 1871, Major Joseph Morgan, a cotton broker, lived there. Between that time and 1905, it was occupied by Sir Alex Ramsay (cotton broker), Charles W. Shepherd (bank manager) and James Anderton (merchant).

In 1905, it became The Convent of Mercy High Class Day School. At that time, the Head Teacher was Sister Mary Gardner.

In 1925, it was re-named St Anthony of Padua School. The Principal then was Sister Mary Borgia.

In 1949, permission was sought to extend the existing school building to form a Catholic voluntary aided primary school. In 1964, further planning permission was requested to extend the school with a single storey classroom and a store.
It was now called St Anthony’s School.

Old OLBEIn 1971, it became Bishop Eton Primary School. Mr J.I. Hughes was the first Head Teacher of the new school. However, in 1982, there was another change when the school was renamed Our Lady’s Bishop Eton, with its patron saint being Our Lady of Perpetual Succour. This was to commemorate the visit of Pope John Paul II to Liverpool.

When Bishop Eton opened in September 1971, there were 227 pupils on the register.  Now, there are over 400 pupils. In 1971, it was a one-form entry school of 7 classes; now, there are two classes in each year – 14 classes in all. In 1971, there were ten staff including the Head; now there are over 50 adults involved in teaching, supporting and caring for our children.  In 1996, the school celebrated its Silver Jubilee, with a Mass, parties for past and present pupils, and even a special mug for all the children!

After Mr Hughes retired, the second Head Teacher was Mr Peter Waters, who had also been a class teacher in the school from 1974 to 1981. During his time, the school gained an ‘Oscar Winning’ reputation for its performances – a reputation which is maintained to this day.

Under the leadership of the school’s third Head Teacher, Mrs Deborah Bostock, Bishop Eton continues to offer an ever-widening range of activities to all its children – before, during and after the standard school hours. The school also has an energetic Home-School Association, which works tirelessly to provide social and fund-raising events to support the school and its families in many ways.

The school which started from such small beginnings has grown into one of the most successful, popular and happy schools in Liverpool. In October 2013, OFSTED assessed the school as “Outstanding”.